Passport Department

Why Choose Us?

Fast Turnaround - Same Day Service Available
Fast and Secure Delivery of Documents
Experience - Over 20 Years of Passport Expediting

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

April 21, 2024 2:39 PM

The following are accepted proof of U.S. Citizenship:

  1. Original Naturalization Certificate
  2. Original previously issued passport
    • You may submit a previously issued passport in good condition as proof of citizenship.
  3. Original or Certified state issued Birth Certificate with a raised seal.
    • To obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate contact the office of vital records where you were born.
    • If you live in California or Texas you must provide the "long form birth certificate".
  4. File Search

    If have been issued a passport and no longer have the passport in your possession, you may request a file search with the U.S. Passport Agency. To do so you must

    • Include a written request for a file search with the other required documents.
    • Include an additional personal check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State for $60.

    Note: File search fees are in addition to the standard government processing fees. A file search may take an additional 5 days to process.

  5. Consular Report of Birth Abroad( Form-FS 240) or Certification of Report of Birth( DS-1350)

    If you were born abroad to one or more U.S. citizens, your parents should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Report of Birth( Form DS-1350).

    To obtain a replacement for a lost or mutilated document, please submit a notarized written request including the original FS-240 or a notarized affidavit concerning the loss of the FS-240 and a $30 fee, payable to the Department of State. Mail it to the address below. The affidavit must contain the: 1) name, (2) date, and (3) place of birth of the subject; (4) a statement regarding the whereabouts of the original FS-240; and (5) be signed by the subject, parent, or legal representative.

    The DS-1350 or a replacement FS-240 can be obtained by writing to:

    Vital Records Section
    Passport Services
    1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510
    Washington, D.C. 20522-1705

    A written request must be notarized and must include a copy of valid photo identification of the requester. The written request must include:
    • Full name of child at birth (plus any adoptive names)
    • Date and place of birth
    • Full names of parents
    • Serial number, if known, of the FS-240 (on those issued after November 1, 1990)
    • Any available passport information
    • Signature of requester
    • Notarized affidavit for a replacement FS-240 (if applicable)

    Note: For Panama Canal Zone (PCZ) birth certificates, just include items (1) through (3). The fee for an FS-240 is $30.

    Note: Fees for DS-1350 and PCZ certificates are $30 for the first copy, $20 each additional copy.